The Grand Lodge started the Royal Masonic Benevolent Annuity Fund for men in 1842 and for females in 1849.
In 1850, the first Home was opened in East Croydon, named the "Asylum for Worthy, Aged and Decayed Freemasons", and the Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution (RMBI) was established.
The Home remained in Croydon for over 100 years until 1955 when it was transferred to Harewood Court in Hove after identifying the need for bigger premises.
Homes and their Opening Dates:
1955 Harewood Court, Hove, East Sussex
1966 Devonshire Court, Oadby, Leicestershire
1967 Scarbrough Court, Cramlington, Northumberland
1968 Prince George Duke of Kent Court, Chislehurst, Kent
1971 Connaught Court, Fulford, York
1973 Lord Harris Court, Sindlesham, Berkshire
1973 Albert Edward Prince of Wales Court, Porthcawl, Mid Glamorgan
1977 Ecclesholme, Eccles, Manchester
1977 The Tithebarn, Great Crosby, Liverpool
1979 Queen Elizabeth Court, Llandudno, Conwy
1980 James Terry Court, Croydon, Surrey
1981 Cornwallis Court, Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
1983 Zetland Court, Bournemouth, Dorset
1986 Cadogan Court, Exeter, South Devon
1994 Prince Michael of Kent Court, Watford, Hertfordshire
1995 Shannon Court, Hindhead, Surrey
1996 Barford Court, Hove, East Sussex
1998 Prince Edward Duke of Kent Court, Braintree, Essex
2008 Scarbrough Court, Cramlington, Northumberland (re-built on the original site)